Great rants, I salute you for their epicness. FWIW I actually think the Volt is cool. I'd just prefer if the government stayed out of the retail automobile market.
So on your key points -
subsidies I'm for - not really sure there are any, I left it open ended in the event that I thought of one. Haven't yet. Perhaps subsidies for treatment of orphan diseases?
on discussions of other subsidies as justification for the one given for the Volt - it's still a smokescreen/red herring/non sequiter/etc to rant about oil subsidies when talking about the electric car subsidies. I don't want either of them. One does not justify the other.
as to subsidies for oil - I'd be interested to know what subsidies (in all forms) there are for electric power generation.
as to government revenue and expenditures - We pay a lot of money in taxes on gasoline as end users, according to Wiki it's probably something in the $50B per year range. Perhaps it's the drivers of those gas guzzlers who are subsidizing your highways? ;)
I understand supply and demand and how the Volt works.
FYI we get almost no electricity from burning oil, something like 2-4%. Most comes from coal and natural gas, so ponder that next time you're rolling around in the Volt ;)
The key point your missing wrt products, prices, innovation, etc is that things like computers, LCD TVs, cellular phones, etc got cheaper and better all on their own due to technological improvements and market forces. Didn't need the government to "help" them along.
You are correct, I have no sympathy for someone who thinks they deserve a handout from the government for buying a particular car. If you think you're "saving the future for your great grandkids" you are delusional.
posted by 138.162....
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Saab brand said to be final hurdle in bankruptcy sale, JohnA , Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:54:58
- SWEDEN: Saab to hire 200 engineers; name doubts linger, JohnA , Thu, 14 Jun 2012 11:37:14
- Re: Saab brand said to be final hurdle in bankruptcy sale, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:09:52
- Press conference at 1pm Swedish time, Kristjan, Tue, 12 Jun 2012 23:48:42
- Looks like SaabsUnited is down, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 04:07:58
- They are back up, confirming NEVS as the buyer, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 04:31:30
- Re: They are back up, confirming NEVS as the buyer, Snowmobile , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:01:15
- I'm afraid Saab is done..., jeff in MD, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:17:41
- Give it a little time and see..., MI-Roger , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:17:31
- Re: I'm afraid Saab is done..., Scott Paterson , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:26:34
- They may not have the Saab brand name yet, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:46:38
- Yeah sure..., ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:31:04
- How is she liking the Volt? nm, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:40:16
- Re: How is she liking the Volt? nm, ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:55:02
- Re: How is she liking the Volt? nm, ALaw, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:21:22
- Thanks for this great write up..., Noel , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:40:27
- Mrs. Law, pleasure to meet you, Siegfried, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 08:10:37
- question..., Snowmobile , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:30:36
- Re: question..., ALaw, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 08:07:40
- Re: question..., ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:53:05
- New Saab must solve, Kristjan, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:40:14
- The real question is..., JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:37:52
- Tss!, Siegfried, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:51:10
- Turbo was not as risky as this, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:16:26
- Turbo WAS risky and Saab must be honored for that, Siegfried, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:47:27
- I have seen The Wall, JohnA , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:41:32
- Far from "everyone", JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:56:01
- Not for everybody but there is a niche, Kristjan, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:09:16
- A very small niche indeed, JerseySaab , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:22:42
- niche vehicles, jeff in MD , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:18:24
- Re: niche vehicles, ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:10:06
- hardly, jeff in MD really, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:25:23
- Re: hardly, ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:59:12
- Re: hardly, jeff in MD really, Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:14:38
- Hmmm..., ELaw , Wed, 13 Jun 2012 06:08:49
Post a Followup
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Conact |
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!